GPS: 51.871603,-9.235833


A recently published book has told us a little more of this little ruined church in Gurteenakilla townland. Dr.Paul MacCotter, a historian from U.C.C. has recently published his book: 'A History of the Medieval Diocese of Cloyne'.  It reveals that this Chapel, usually known as 'Teampallín Eachros', is mentioned in Vatican tax records dated 1212 AD. making it one of the oldest recorded in Ireland. At that time in was recorded as the rectory of Augeris, the rectory being owned by Mourne Abbey, Mallow an establishment of the Knights Hospitallers.

At that time Augeris (modern: Eachros) and a large chunk of the north-west of what is now Uibhlaoire was a distinct parish in the Diocese of Cloyne, This corner of the present parish, comprising fifteen modern townlands and containing  5,397 statute acres, was in 1641 owned and occupied by a branch of the Mac Carthys, Clann Charthaigh Eachruis.  These MacCarthys paid an annual rent to the McCarthy Muskerry overlord, to whom they were not a sub-sept.

The parish was incorporated into the parish of Uibhlaoire in the Diocese of Cork and Ross in the seventeenth century, probably giving rise to the folklore/joke/metaphor that the church had crossed the river; The river in question being the river Laoi which forms most of the boundary beween Cork and Cloyne in this area.

The neighboring townland of Bawn na Teampeal has a standing stone nineteen feet high and reputed to be the second highest in Ireland.
Continued below gallery

Photo courtesy Bernardette McCarthy


O'Sullivan Beare is reputed to have camped near this, already derilict church on the first night of his epic march to Leitrim on 31st Dec. 1602. His stallion, Cearc, broke a leg here and is remembered in the name of a pool in the Bunsheelin river nearby, Pol na Cearc.

Adjacent to the road to the east is a bullaun stone, locally called 'The Font', and a little north of this a holy-well.

2013-15 Uibh Laoire Parish